Creepy Cuisine Around the World
Happy Halloween and bon appétit from this month’s Take Five. We’re taking a look at creepy cuisine from around the world!
Crooners in the WildCanadian wildlife that could give Michael Bublé a run for his money
With over 25 million Canadians caught up in the hustle and bustle of urban life, it’s hard to picture vast spaces of our nation as desolate and wild. But in fact, only 11 per cent of Canada’s 8,886,356 square kilometres of land are privately owned. The remaining 89 per cent is Crown land (also known as public land) and is owned by the federal or provincial government.
CWF Funding Contributes to Advances in Polar Bear Research
Thanks in part to funding provided by the Canadian Wildlife Federation, leading polar bear researcher, Dr. Andrew Derocher and his colleagues, have found that nearly 20 per cent more polar bears are eating less, possibly due to a reduction in their main food source.
CWF Funds Research to Determine Best Nests for Turtles
Researchers are using nest-cages to discourage nest predation. But are they effective?
Designing Sustainable Landscapes
In an age of urban sprawl, failing infrastructure, polluted water and greenhouse gasses, we are hearing the word “sustainability” more and more frequently. In fact, it seems that everywhere we look there is a new green or sustainable product on the market. Companies are responding to consumers’ needs and wants because we are starting to see the effect that products and human activity are having on our planet. For instance, in 1997 Charles J. Moore, a competitive sailor on his journey home from competing in the Transpac sailing race, discovered a vast expanse of floating plastic garbage in the northern Pacific Ocean. His discovery prompted research into the phenomenon. Researchers found that garbage generated worldwide was accumulating in a concentrated area due to the currents of the ocean. It was dubbed the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, also known as the Gyre. It is suspected that thousands of tons of plastic garbage are washed into the Pacific Ocean each year, carried by urban coastal storm water run-off. It has been speculated that the hidden area of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is greater in size than the state of Texas.
At our current rate of consumption, human beings are using up the earth's resources one and a half times faster than our planet's capacity for renewal. In order for our children to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle such as the one we have come to appreciate, we need to adopt a sustainable approach in the way we live. Sustainable living simply means preserving our ability to maintain, indefinitely, a way of living.
Dining on DebrisHow are Animals Affected by Marine Litter?
Discover Our Roots
O Canada! Our home and native plants – yes you read it right – this year’s National Wildlife Week theme is native plants! What better way to send the message nationwide than through our own national anthem (well, a variation of it at least!)?
Discovering the World of Animal Tracks
Tracking is like a doorway to a greater understanding of the wilderness. It teaches you about local flora, fauna, seasons and wildlife behaviour. The novice will find delight in simply noticing and identifying various tracks and sign, whereas the intermediate tracker will understand the behaviours of the local wildlife and even make accurate predictions from the clues found. To be sure, many fascinating finds await all trackers. Regardless of your tracking abilities, a walk in the woods (or backyard) will reveal tracking mysteries worthy of the best Sherlock Holmes—don't forget to bring your magnifying glass! Really! It comes in handy. In what follows, you will find some of the basics to get you well on your way to reading animal tracks. As well, some advanced techniques that you may want to explore are included. Let me also state that tracking is not a monotonous task of measurements and research—although that takes place at times. Tracking is world of discovery that really works to connect one to nature in a non-consumptive manner.
Doing Our Lakes JusticeWill you lend your lake a helping hand this summer?
Doing Right by the Right WhaleCWF meets with DFO to resolve right whale entanglement issues.
Dolphin Tale 2We’ve paired up with Warner Bros to get kids excited about marine animal rescue!
DronesThe Tools that are Changing the Face of Wildlife Conservation
Drones: Possibilities and SetbacksDive into all the potential that drones could offer the conservation world, and the factors that are holding research back.
Ecotourism: A Sweet Escape
The hot summer sun heats up the streets of the city, the air is thick and dry and the days of summer will soon be a thing of the past. You need a break – make that a getaway – from the daily grind. But what kind of adventure can you have that’s both easy on the Earth and on your wallet? Save your pocket change and your carbon footprint with ecotourism.