We've created this ready-to-use kit to help you and your students support our stupendous salty seas.
- This is a classroom-ready, thematic unit.
- You will learn how we ail play a part in ocean health — whether we hail from a Canadian prairie or a Solomon Island sea coast.
- Through classroom activities and outdoor projects, you will learn to help salty ecosystems around the planet.
Please feel free to print any part of this unit for classroom use!
- Oceans are Indispensable
The Earth needs oceans because all the elements on the planet are carefully balanced, including water, air, soil, and living things.
- Lesson Plan: Ocean Links
Students illustrate the independence of living things in the ocean
- What Harms Ocean Life?
Oceans seem too huge to harm, don't they? But we humans are actually making our oceans sick.
- Poster Activity (image file)
Use the Ocean Life Chart (PDF) to help students complete the above poster activity.
- Lesson Plan: Net Gain, Net Effect
Students learn about the evolution of fishing and interpret the possible effects of changes in technology on fish populations
- Overfishing, Damage to Coasts, and Ocean Health Indicators
Our oceans give us 90 million tonnes of fish each year! Unfortunately, we have often not fished carefully to conserve enough fish for the future.
- How You Can Make a Difference
Educating yourself is an excellent first step. Your enthusiasm will encourage others to get involved.