Wildlife can often be lured by the tempting sound of dripping water. Try rigging a recycled plastic or metal container from a branch just over a bird bath. An old coffee can is perfect.
- Paint it black, dull green, or brown — birds are suspicious of bright colours.
- Make a tiny hole in the bottom.
- Fill the container with water. You will have to experiment with getting the drip just right — not too fast or you'll be busy filling the container every half-hour.
- Try punching a small hole, then plugging it with a wad of fabric.
- Hang a dripping water bucket over a patch of earth or sand to provide mud for butterflies.
- Butterflies absorb the mineral salts they need from moist sand or mud.