Butterflies absorb the mineral salts they need from moist sand or mud. You can easily make a special soggy spot or two in your backyard for butterflies. Don't be surprised if other creatures find the spot useful as well.
- Fill a bucket with sand.
- Dig a hole and bury the bucket to within 0.5 cm of its rim.
- Soak the sand with water.
- Don't let the water rise above the surface of the sand.
- Provide perching areas with a few rocks or sticks placed on top of the sand.
- Top up the water occasionally.
- Wait and see what kinds of wildlife make use of your soggy spot!