Maintenance Tips for Building Projects
A vital part of any wildlife habitat building project is maintenance. You can't just dig an amphibian pond or hang a nesting box in a tree and leave nature to do the rest! Besides cleaning and repairing ponds or nesting boxes, you'll need to keep an eye on every corner of your project area.
Now that you're committed to helping wildlife, you've taken on new responsibilities as a habitat steward. Keep the following maintenance tips in mind to ensure the success of your wildlife habitat:
• Do a quick tour of the area every few days.
• Clean and repair damaged nesting boxes and feeders.
• Keep birdbaths full of fresh water.
• Give compost heaps regular attention.
• Reappraise your master plan each year. Depending on your results, you may want to redesign some projects and terminate others.