Tips and Tricks
When installing your bat box, do your best to stick to several or all of the following guidelines:
- Height is important. Install the bat box a minimum of 12 feet off the ground.
- Bats like a warm climate. Make sure the box will get some sun.
- NOTE: If you worry that your bat box will not get enough sun, paint it with non-toxic black paint so that the sun it does get is more easily absorbed. NOTE: Do not paint the inside of the house.
- Install by water. Bats will find the box more easily if there is a water source nearby.
- Trees are an alright option, but if you can, attach your box to the side of a house or pole instead.
- Provide open space. Consider a nice open area facing south or southeast to keep bats protected and cozy.