“KIDS NEED NATURE, NATURE NEEDS KIDS”
APRIL 18 – 21, 2017
Westin Bayshore Conference Centre,
1601 Bayshore Drive,
Vancouver 604 682-3377
Click here to book your room at our special group rate
Use the promo code 2017CWF and receive $25 off the price of a full conference registration package.
A Message from The Honourable Judith Guichon, Lieutenant Governor, BC
The Westin Bayshore is the first of the Westin properties to receive the prestigious Canadian Wildlife Federation's Backyard Habitat Certification. The Certification Program recognizes the amazing efforts Canadians are taking to meet the habitat needs of wildlife, and allows individuals to have their property certified by officially designating their gardens as wildlife friendly.
The Children & Nature Network International Conference: Kids Need Nature, Nature Needs Kids is being co-hosted by the Children & Nature Network (C&NN) and the Canadian Wildlife Federation (CWF). It is the first time that C&NN has held this Conference outside of the United States. Join us at this premier international gathering of leaders, advocates and activists from the children and nature movement.
The overall Conference consists of an evening reception, a one-day Summit "Nature for an Urban World " and a day and a half conference "Kids Need Nature, Nature Needs Kids" from April 18 - 21, 2017. There are also pre and post conference events that you can register for separately »
You can plan your conference experience by choosing from the nine tracks:
- Making the Case: Advancing the evidence base for the children and nature movement
- Improving Health: Nature’s role in fostering healthier children, families and communities
- Driving Change: How young, diverse leaders are reconnecting children to nature and creating community change
- Strengthening Bonds: Building closer, stronger family relationships through time in nature
- Learning Outside: Nature-based strategies for enhancing academic achievement and equitable access to nature
- Lighting the Spark: Connecting children to nature to inspire environmental stewardship
- Advancing the Movement: Campaigns and collaborations to fuel the children and nature movement worldwide
- Connecting Communities: Exploring nature’s role in community building and healing, justice and equity
- Digging Deep: In-depth sessions on policy and advocacy; nature and the economy; and growing effective, inclusive networks.
The overall objective for the Conference is to promote deep, cross-sector engagement and collaborations to create a world in which all children have access to nature in their daily lives by:
- Articulating the important role that nature plays in healthy childhood development
- Disseminating best and promising practices
- Sharing resources
- Supporting policy change
- Including representation from diverse voices, backgrounds and sectors
- Inspiring participants to take personal/professional actions that will increase the number of children who are able to experience nature* and the amount of time they spend outdoors
- Having global reach with measurable local action
*Nature-centered experiences for children are those that instill wonder and engender curiosity; take place in outdoor settings ranging from backyards to neighborhoods to city parks to wilderness; and occur in the form of guided activities as well as unstructured nature play in children’s everyday lives.
"If we are going to save environmentalism and the environment, we must also save an endangered species: the child in nature.” ~ Richard Louv
CWF Children & Nature Network Conference 2017 – SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
More than 800 cross-sector thought leaders in the children and nature movement will convene in Vancouver this April, arriving from every corner of the world to gather new ideas, evidence-based research and scalable strategies to address the needs in their community. Your investment in this event is an investment in a healthy, nature-rich future for all for all Canadians.